Ford Ranger Australia’s First Utility To Offer Connectivity Standard Across The Range
- From mid-2020, FordPass Connect embedded modem will enable key features including remote unlock/lock, remote start, vehicle status and remote vehicle monitoring, live traffic updates, vehicle locator, vehicle health alerts and more
- ‘Connected car’ technology pairs with the FordPass smartphone app to simplify the ownership experience, with easy access to key vehicle information, roadside assistance, and online service booking
- Ford Australia to roll out FordPass functionality, with embedded modems standard across its line-up in 2020
MELBOURNE, Australia, 12 February 2020 – The multi award-winning Ford Ranger will bring Australian buyers another innovative first when FordPass Connect embedded modem is standardised across the Ford Ranger line-up in mid-2020. This ‘connected car’ technology pairs with the FordPass smartphone app to unlock a range of new connected services and remote vehicle functions to simplify the ownership experience.
Building on Ranger’s ever-expanding technology suite and feature updates, offering an embedded modem as standard across the line-up is another ‘first’ for Ranger, with others including standard Autonomous Emergency Braking on all body types, including entry-level cab chassis, in addition to a five-star ANCAP safety rating, and best-in-class payload and towing capabilities. The off-road capable seven-seat Ford Everest SUV will also come with an embedded modem as standard from mid-2020.
“Ranger continues to lead the way when it comes to giving customers access to new technologies that make their lives easier, and the powerful combination of the FordPass App and FordPass Connect modem takes this one step further,” said Kay Hart, President and CEO, Ford Australia and New Zealand. “Ranger and FordPass bring innovation, best-in-class features and real-world convenience to Australia’s best-selling 4X4.”
While the Ford Ranger and Everest, with their Australian-led engineering and design, will be spearheading the new technology in this market, additional FordPass connected models will be announced in due course.
“Innovation for our customers’ benefit is at the heart of everything we do,” said Kay Hart. “FordPass Connect will be rolled out across the Ford showroom in 2020, as we bring the technology to all vehicle types, across all models and all price points. We want every Australian to be able to benefit from this great connected technology.”
FordPass: Joining the dots so you don’t have to
FordPass brings an array of convenient remote vehicle functionality and connected services to make life simpler for Ford owners, such as remote vehicle lock and unlock.
FordPass also features a number of services that are designed to simplify customers’ ownership experience, placing key vehicle information in the palm of their hand. These include access to roadside assistance[i], the ability to schedule a service online and check their recent service history[ii], their owners’ manual, and even a convenient way to get in touch with a ‘Ford Guide’, who can assist – by phone or email – with any queries about connected services.
When used together, key features of FordPass and FordPass Connect include:
- Vehicle Status and Remote Vehicle Monitoring: Through the FordPass app’s Vehicle Status feature, owners can check their vehicle’s key variables including fuel level, tyre pressures (where tyre pressure monitoring system is fitted) and mileage through the convenience of their smartphone.
- Remote Vehicle Lock and Unlock: Drivers can lock and unlock their Ford remotely, meaning they don’t have to rush back to their cars to check if they’ve remembered to lock their doors. This also allows drivers to let passengers into their vehicle regardless of whether they are there or not.
- Remote Vehicle Start and Stop[iii] : Using the FordPass app, drivers can start their vehicle’s engine from home, the office or elsewhere via smartphone for a period of up to five minutes, enabling the Ranger or Everest’s cabin to commence heating or cooling to the last known setting. This helps ensure a cool, comfortable interior on a hot Australian summer day, or a de-iced, warmed and inviting vehicle in winter. This function automatically makes sure the vehicle doors are locked before the engine can be switched on. The vehicle is ready to be driven once the driver arrives with the key.
- Live Traffic Updates[iv] : The Live Traffic Update capability delivers ongoing, instant traffic updates to provide more accurate, convenient navigation in congested areas. It includes comprehensive traffic information, and offers an alternate route when detecting congestion and heavy traffic conditions.
- Vehicle Locator: Courtesy of a map and location tracker in the FordPass app, drivers can find their way back to their vehicle in a busy parking area without the need to remember exactly where they parked it. This is even more convenient when a driver has lent their vehicle to someone else, and is now seeking to pick it up.
- Vehicle Health Alerts: The FordPass app capability extends to Vehicle Health Alerts, which can be sent directly to a smartphone, pre-empting service needs, general maintenance such as a light bulb replacement, and more. The alert is designed to diagnose specific issues and even recommend a course of action.
FordPass and FordPass Connect embedded modem build on the Ford Ranger ownership experience, which already brings Australians Ford Service Benefits including Service Loan Car, Auto Club Membership with Roadside Assistance, as well as SYNC 3 sat-nav mapping updates where available. Further Australian-market details will be announced closer to the arrival of FordPass Connect for Ford Ranger in mid-2020.
[i] T&Cs apply and costs may apply
[ii] When servicing has occurred at a participating dealer
[iii] Not compatible with manual transmission models, and services may vary depending on model variant
[iv] Live Traffic is included with FordPass Connect for the first three years and is only available on models equipped with embedded SYNC 3 Satellite Navigation
[v] Conditions apply; see ford.com.au or Lane Ford for additional details